Current course announcements
Advanced Analytics: Modeling and Optimization with GAMS
September 24-26, 2018 – Vienna, Austria
Implement advanced analytics by using GAMS (General Algebraic Modeling System) for modeling and solving optimization problems.
The course targets people who
- wish to advance their analytics skills by building their own models for custom analysis
- wish to get an overview of mathematical optimization
- want to learn how to use GAMS to solve real-world optimization problems
- need to understand, enhance, and modify existing GAMS models Course language
The training seminar covers
- the foundations of mathematical programming
- basics of modeling and optimization solution algorithms
- working with the GAMS IDE
- how to map decision problems in business and science to the basic objects of optimization models: indices, data, variables, constraints, and objective functions
- how to analyze results and identify key influencing factors in complex models
- how to analyze and understand existing models
- where to look for more information efficiently
All course material will be in English. The default course language is English and can be switched to German if (and only if) all participants prefer it.
- USB-stick with
- the course material
- the example model library used throughout the course including solutions to the exercises
- the latest GAMS system and an unlimited-size temporary license with several solvers
- A printed copy of the course material
- Business lunches as well as coffee breaks with snacks & beverages
- A notebook or laptop computer running Windows® for learning and practicing in and out of class
- While GAMS is available for a wide range of platforms and operating systems, we will use the GAMS IDE for the course which only runs on Windows®. Administrator rights might be needed for installing the software.
- If you don’t have GAMS installed we will install it at the beginning of the course, including the course license.
- Basic experience with computers: familiarity with the concept of files and directories, ability to install software.
Day 1: 9:30 am to approx. 6:00 pm
Day 2: 9:00 am to approx. 6:00 pm
Day 3: 9:00 am to approx. 5:00 pm
- Introduction to Mathematical Optimization
- Introducing GAMS
- The GAMS Integrated Development Environment (GAMS IDE)
- First modeling exercise
- GAMS Language 1: Objects in Optimization
- Data Objects: Sets, Scalars, Parameters, Tables
- Models and Model Attributes
- Output Files, Debugging
- GAMS Language 2: Programming Language Features
- Conditional Expressions
- Procedural Language Elements
- Energy Industry Example: PSH (Pumped Storage Hydroelectricity)
- GAMS File I/O
- Text File Input
- Formatted Text File Output
- GAMS Data Exchange (GDX)
- Advanced Mixed-integer Linear Programming (“big M” method)
The venue is within comfortable walking distance from the historic Vienna city centre. Should the hotel be booked out, there are numerous accomodation alternatives close by as well.
Fees for the September course:
- Early bird (booked by August 22, 2018): EUR 3,197.00
- Regular (booked after August 22, 2018): EUR 3,697.00
For all courses:
- Get 10% off when 2+ tickets are purchased in one order!
- The fees are subject to additional 20% Austrian tax (Umsatzsteuer).
- Email us for a 25% academic discount for students and postdocs: firstname.lastname@example.org