Current course announcements
Advanced Analytics: Modeling and Optimization with GAMS
April 03-05, 2019 – Vienna, Austria
Implement advanced analytics by using GAMS (General Algebraic Modeling System) for modeling and solving optimization problems.
The course is for you if you need to
- advance your analytics skills by building your own models for custom analysis
- get an overview of mathematical optimization
- learn how to use GAMS to solve real-world optimization problems
- understand, enhance, and modify existing GAMS models Course language
The training seminar covers
- the foundations of mathematical programming
- basics of modeling and optimization solution algorithms
- working with the GAMS IDE
- how to map decision problems in business and science to the basic objects of optimization models: indices, data, variables, constraints, and objective functions
- how to analyze results and identify key influencing factors in complex models
- how to analyze and understand existing models
- where to look for more information efficiently
All course material will be in English. The default course language is English and can be switched to German if (and only if) all participants prefer it.
- USB-stick with a printed copy of the course material
- the course material
- the example model library used throughout the course including solutions to the exercises
- the latest GAMS system and an unlimited-size temporary license with several solvers
- Business lunches as well as coffee breaks with snacks & beverages
- A notebook or laptop computer running Windows® for learning and practicing in and out of class
- While GAMS is available for a wide range of platforms and operating systems, we will use the GAMS IDE for the course which only runs on Windows®. Administrator rights might be needed for installing the software.
- If you don’t have GAMS installed we will install it at the beginning of the course, including the course license.
- Basic experience with computers: familiarity with the concept of files and directories, ability to install software.
Day 1: 9:30 am to approx. 6:00 pm
Day 2: 9:00 am to approx. 6:00 pm
Day 3: 9:00 am to approx. 5:00 pm
- Introduction to Mathematical Optimization
- Introducing GAMS
- The GAMS Integrated Development Environment (GAMS IDE)
- First modeling exercise
- GAMS Language 1: Objects in Optimization
- Data Objects: Sets, Scalars, Parameters, Tables
- Models and Model Attributes
- Output Files, Debugging
- GAMS Language 2: Programming Language Features
- Conditional Expressions
- Procedural Language Elements
- GAMS File I/O
- Text File Input
- Formatted Text File Output
- GAMS Data Exchange (GDX)
- Advanced Mixed-integer Linear Programming (“big M” method)
The venue is within comfortable walking distance from the historic Vienna city centre. Should the hotel be booked out, there are numerous accomodation alternatives close by as well.
For all courses:
- Get 10% off when 2+ tickets are purchased in one order!
- The fees are subject to additional 20% Austrian tax (Umsatzsteuer).
- Email us for a 25% academic discount for students and postdocs: email@example.com
Terms & Conditions
Change and cancellation policy: (a) Change of name / participant: anytime, no fee. (b) Refunds for cancellation by participants for any reason incur a fee of (i) 10% of invoice amount if cancelled more than 30 days before the course, (ii) 30% of invoice amount if cancelled until 10 days before the course. No refunds if cancelled less than 10 days before the course. (c) In the event of force majeure, including but not limited to sudden illness, Dr. Maindl Consulting’s liability is limited to the invoice amount.
See what past course participants say…
I’d like to thank you for the training course, also on behalf of the project team. It made a lasting and good impression on all of us. I am convinced that the information we got leaves us well positioned for the further course of our project.
Very nice – looking for future workshops!
Dr. Maindl provided a lot of cases to help me to understand the new language. The most useful thing is that this course provides not only practical modelling, but also the theoretical background of each model. Because of this, I can apply GAMS to my research well. I really appreciate his lecture.Dr. J. Shin, 2018
The course was really nice and I had opportunity to learn a lot from this. I learned GAMS for the first time in my life and it is a very powerful tool. I am really thankful for the course.P. Verma, 2016
Thank you so much for the great course, the exercises, … It was indeed very nice!